“I got my flue shot, and now my chimney works perfectly.” — Comedian Steve Martin
As the cooler temperatures arrive, it’s nice to take the chill off the evening with a cozy fire, but if you are using a wood-burning fireplace or stove, you’ll need to get it cleaned and checked before use. Anything from creosote buildup to leftover birds’ nests can lead to dangerous conditions, including carbon monoxide backups and fire.
The Chimney Safety Institute of America says there are more than 25,000 chimney fires in the United States each year. They can easily weaken your masonry structure or damage a metal-insert chimney tube; moreover, a chimney fire can spread to attics and roofs, and even result in explosions.
A once-yearly cleaning by a professional chimney sweep can ensure your flue and stack are cleared of debris and flammable buildup. That will protect not only your property, but also your relaxing autumn evenings.