Hurricane season runs from June 1st through November 30th
Your level of preparation before a hurricane can determine how well you weather the storm and how quickly you recover from it. You should start preparing your home, inside and out, long before a storm is in the forecast. Beyond having the proper home insurance, here are some important tips to prepare your family and home in case of a hurricane.
- Prepare a Survival Kit – This kit should include enough basic supplies for at least 3 days and should include things like water, non perishable food, any medication you or your family require, flashlights, portable radio and batteries.
- Monitor the Health of Your Trees – In powerful windstorms trees can be a hazard. Have a professional survey the trees on your property to make recommendations about pruning dead limbs or removing trees that are weakened.
- Check your Roof – Your roof is important for keeping the storm outside. Have a professional roofer check the health of your roof to look for any peeling or missing shingles or other signs of wear or damage.
- Plan an Evacuation Route – Meet with your family and make a plan of what to do and where to go if evacuation is necessary. Make sure to select an out of state friend or family member as a point of contact in case you are separated.
- Secure all Outdoor Objects – Secure outdoor objects or bring them inside, close storm shutters if they are installed and board up windows and glass doors as appropriate.
- After the Storm Has Passed – Once the hurricane has passed, check your home and property to make sure there is no hidden damage.
- Call Your Agent – Be sure to promptly contact your Insurance Agent or Insurance Carrier to report all claims.
In the end, you can never be too prepared when it comes to protecting your loved ones and your property from extreme weather events such as hurricanes.
For more information or answers to your insurance questions, contact us at Allan Block Insurance Agency, www.ambins.com, located in Tarrytown, NY in the heart of Westchester County, a key business district near New York City. We write auto, home, renters, condo, co-op, personal, business, life and group insurance for clients locally and in NYC, CT, NJ, PA, MA and many other states. The Professional Agency with the Personal Touch.