November is the month with the most dramatic drop in average temperatures in the United States. To prepare your home to withstand the cold weather, follow these tips from AccuWeather:
• Inspect walls and attics for drafts and insulate where needed.
• Replace damaged or missing roof shingles, remove roof debris, read up on how to avoid ice dams, and make sure the roof can sustain the weight of heavy snowfall.
• Clear gutters.
• Wrap pipes in basements and crawl spaces so they don't freeze.
• Turn off and drain exterior faucets.
• Drain irrigation systems.
• Add extensions to downspouts to keep water away from your foundation.
• Schedule a heating system tune-up now to avoid an emergency call when freezing temps finally arrive.
A few hours of preparation can prevent major weather-related problems.
For more information or answers to your insurance questions, contact us at Allan Block Insurance Agency, www.ambins.com, located in Tarrytown, NY in the heart of Westchester County, a key business district near New York City. We write auto, home, renters, condo, co-op, personal, business, life and group insurance for clients locally and in NYC, CT, NJ, PA, MA and many other states. The Professional Agency with the Personal Touch.