Slip and fall accidents can be very costly for any business, whether they involve your employees or someone else legally on your premises. Each year these accidents result in thousands of workers’ compensation or third party liability claims. Make sure you prepare as follows:
- If contracting for snow and ice removal, make certain your contractor is timely in the removal of snow and/or treating to prevent icing, as many municipalities require appropriate actions be taken within specific timeframes.
- Make sure your contractor is insured and you are contractually protected for their liabilities.
- If doing your own snow removal, have appropriate personnel, equipment and supplies on site (shovels, snow blowers, plows, ice melt, sand…).
- Use caution before you or your employees clear non-owned adjoining properties, as doing so can create liability for your business.
- Keep exterior drains and drainage areas clear of snow to prevent backup of water, freezing and refreezing.
- Treat all exterior areas where you expect to have pedestrian traffic. Once and done is not sufficient; inspect and treat potential hazardous areas frequently.
- Make certain there is ample outside lighting during the shorter daylight hours of winter.
- Ensure walkways are free of debris and pitched to avoid ice collecting on them.
- Ensure parking lot surface is smooth, clear and safe.
- Winter can create hazardous conditions inside when people track in snow and ice, leading to wet and slippery floors inside.
- Take action to keep floors dry and substance free. Use markers and signage to warn others of slippery conditions.
- Educate your employees to inspect for and address conditions which could cause a slip, trip or fall.
For more information or answers to your insurance questions, contact us at Allan Block Insurance Agency, www.ambins.com, located in Tarrytown, NY in the heart of Westchester County, a key business district near New York City. We write auto, home, renters, condo, co-op, personal, business, life and group insurance for clients locally and in NYC, CT, NJ, PA, MA and many other states. The Professional Agency with the Personal Touch.