Each year more than 225,000 homes are damaged by water pipes that freeze and burst. A burst water pipe can cause thousands of dollars in damage to your home, furnishings, important papers, photographs, and family heirlooms.
Even during a mild winter, frozen pipe claims on average can have more than $5,000+ in damages.
Larger claim losses can be $100,000 or more! There are simple ways you can help prevent these types of losses from occurring.
How to Prevent Frozen Pipes:
- Insulate pipes in crawl spaces, attics and basements that are exposed to the cold. More insulation means more protection.
- Keep your kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors open during cold spells to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Heat tape or thermostat-controlled heat cables can be used to wrap pipes.
- If you have faucets connected to pipes that run through unheated or unprotected spaces, keep slow trickles of water flowing.
- Always use products according to manufacturer’s instructions. Do not use interior-use products on the exterior.
- Remove and drain garden hoses. If the hose water-supply line has a shut-off valve inside the house, shut that off and drain it prior to removing the hose.
- Seal all cracks and holes in outside walls and foundations near water pipes that allow cold air in, especially around electrical wiring, dryer vents and window.
- If your house will be unattended for any extended periods of time during the cold weather, drain the water from all water lines and pipes in your home.
For more information or answers to your insurance questions, contact us at Allan Block Insurance Agency, www.ambins.com, located in Tarrytown, NY in the heart of Westchester County, a key business district near New York City. We write auto, home, renters, condo, co-op, personal, business, life and group insurance for clients locally and in NYC, CT, NJ, PA, MA and many other states. The Professional Agency with the Personal Touch.