During winter storms, the news is filled with stories of people stranded in their cars on highways. Here are some reminders from the North Dakota Department of Transportation that may save your life:
- Stay with your vehicle
- Put on warm clothing right away, loosen tight clothing to allow body heat to circulate, remove metal jewelry.
- Move all emergency supplies from your trunk to your car interior immediately. Arrange your supplies in order of use. You may need to ration so consider a long stay.
- Keep your exhaust pipe clear of snow.
- Run the engine sparingly. If it is extremely cold, keep the engine running as it may not restart.
- Keep your feet off the floor.
- Don’t go to sleep with the engine running as you risk carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Position your vehicle so it is facing into the wind.
- Tie a colorful item onto your antenna.
- Eat a high-calorie food just before sleeping to stimulate your metabolism (heat production).
For more information or answers to your insurance questions, contact us at Allan Block Insurance Agency, www.ambins.com, located in Tarrytown, NY in the heart of Westchester County, a key business district near New York City. We write auto, home, renters, condo, co-op, personal, business, life and group insurance for clients locally and in NYC, CT, NJ, PA, MA and many other states. The Professional Agency with the Personal Touch.