Only a few inches of water can cause tens of thousands of dollars of damage. Here are some tips you can do to prevent flood and water damage to your property.
- Keep water out with barriers, sandbags and other devices.
- Relocate materials from lower levels. This includes moving items from lower shelves to higher shelves.
- Review shut down procedures for affected processes which includes things like your hot water heater, heating system and boiler.
- Check to make sure all drainage, including roof drains, is open and flowing freely.
- Pay attention to weather watch and warnings. Be prepared to evacuate and have all medications, important papers and some clothes packed and ready to go. It could be a few days before you will be able to return to your home.
- Prepare a plan ahead of time with your family on where you will meet should your home be flooded while you are away from it, who everyone should call and any additional needs based on your family. This way you are prepared before a flood strikes.
- Obtain Flood Insurance. You do not need to live in a flood zone to be impacted by a flood. The average flood claim is about $30,000 with 1 in 4 claims happening to those in a non-flood plain.
For more information or answers to your insurance questions, contact us at Allan Block Insurance Agency, www.ambins.com, located in Tarrytown, NY in the heart of Westchester County, a key business district near New York City. We write auto, home, renters, condo, co-op, personal, business, life and group insurance for clients locally and in NYC, CT, NJ, PA, MA and many other states. The Professional Agency with the Personal Touch.