Contact information for our employees during Coronavirus

Sign Breakage: Don’t Let it Break You

Sign Breakage

While business owners policies and commercial property policies provide some coverage for signage, it’s usually for signs that are attached to the insured building. If you have detached signage, you need to ask about how to insure for sign breakage—especially since electronic signs can run $10,000 or more. Often, detached signage can be added by “endorsement,” a section that’s added to your property policy detailing extra items you want covered.

If you are leasing your building, your landlord will carry property insurance on the structure. If you add a sign, you will need your own coverage for it, typically under a “betterments” clause, which insures improvements you make to your leased space. Your agent or broker will help coordinate this coverage with your landlord’s policy.

Remember, exclusions in your property insurance will apply to your signs. So, for example, flood, earthquake, and in some regions windstorms, need special consideration.

Allan Block Insurance, Professional Service with the Personal Touch

We are located in Tarrytown, NY, in the heart of Westchester County, a key business district just north of New York City. We write auto, home, renters, condo, co-op, personal, business, life and group insurance for clients locally and in NYC, CT, NJ, PA, MA and many other states. For more information or answers to your insurance questions, please contact us.

Skip to content