adult children covered under parents homeowners insurance
  • By Allan M Block Blogging Team
  • Posted April 7, 2019

Is An Adult Child Living At Home Covered Under The Parent’s Insurance?

Almost 40% of young adults in the United States live with parents, step­parents or grandparents.

Are adult children covered under their parent's home and auto insurance policies?

In many cases, the answer is yes. Most home insurance policies extend coverage to a person related to the "named insured" (usually the homeowner and resident spouse) by blood, marriage or adoption; a minor in the care of such a person; and a ward or foster child. To be covered, that person must also reside in the household with the "named insured."

A personal auto policy often extends coverage to a person related to and residing with the "named insured" and may extend to cover other individuals as well (such as dependents, wards or foster children).

However, it is essential to share the names of household residents with your insurance agent. While some insurance companies offer broad coverage to household members, others might not cover individuals who are not disclosed or specifically listed on the insurance policy.

For more information or answers to your insurance questions, contact us at Allan Block Insurance Agency,, located in Tarrytown, NY in the heart of Westchester County, a key business district near New York City.  We write auto, home, renters, condo, co-op, personal, business, life and group insurance for clients locally and in NYC, CT, NJ, PA, MA and many other states. The Professional Agency with the Personal Touch.