caregivers in home and insurance needed
  • By Allan M Block Blogging Team
  • Posted August 20, 2018

Hiring an Insured Caregiver

If it's time to hire an in-home caregiver, make sure the person you hire is adequately insured. Whether the caregiver is employed by a service or is an independent contractor, it's important to verify the following:

Workers Compensation—The caregiver should furnish proof of this insurance, which covers medical bills and lost income should the worker be injured on the job.

General Liability—This covers claims of bodily injury or property damage should the caregiver's services injure someone or damage a customer's property.

Professional Liability—Some caregivers possess advanced medical certifications and training. In these instances, a general liability policy might not be sufficient to cover their errors. They might need professional liability insurance.

Auto—If the caregiver drives a client to and from errands, appointments, etc., verify that his auto insurance will cover damage to vehicles and bodily injury to passengers or others and that the limit of insurance available for such claims is sufficient.

You may be asked to enter into a contract with the caregiver or his employer. That contract could contain clauses that expose you to financial liability that falls outside your homeowners liability coverage. Talk with your insurance agent or broker about the extent to which your homeowners policy covers in-home caregivers.

For more information or answers to your insurance questions, contact us at Allan Block Insurance Agency,, located in Tarrytown, NY in the heart of Westchester County, a key business district near New York City.  We write auto, home, renters, condo, co-op, personal, business, life and group insurance for clients locally and in NYC, CT, NJ, PA, MA and many other states. The Professional Agency with the Personal Touch.