insurance needed for a catastrophic storm
  • By Allan M Block Blogging Team
  • Posted August 24, 2018

Catastrophic Storm Home Insurance

Catastrophic storms can do massive damage to homes, condos and apartments. Check that your insurance policy offers the coverage you need and create a disaster response plan for your home.

In some parts of the country, windstorm insurance is not covered in the home insurance policy and must be purchased separately. You may also find that deductibles vary based on the cause of loss. For example, some policies require separate deductibles for wind damage and damage caused by fire or other perils. Remember that your possessions need coverage from windstorms even if you don't own your residence.

When it comes to water damage, know that losses from rising water or storm surges usually require a flood insurance policy. Note that, according to FEMA, over one fourth of the homes damaged by flood are NOT located in a flood zone, so talk to your insurance agent or broker about the availability and value of flood insurance.

For more information or answers to your insurance questions, contact us at Allan Block Insurance Agency,, located in Tarrytown, NY in the heart of Westchester County, a key business district near New York City.  We write auto, home, renters, condo, co-op, personal, business, life and group insurance for clients locally and in NYC, CT, NJ, PA, MA and many other states. The Professional Agency with the Personal Touch.