Think Through Safety Before Undertaking A Renovation
As spring breaks, it brings with it a feeling of freshness. For many people, that people brings a newfound motivation, from setting you on the path towards getting fit for summer to doing a deep spring clean of your home. If the spring is motivating you to do some work on your home, however, be advised of the following safety considerations.
- Stay Connected: Some contractors will advise you to disconnect home security and fire alarm systems to avoid false alarms while renovating. Ignore that counsel; the risk of fire and theft goes up when remodeling. Instead, cover sensors with a plastic bag during the day, but remove them at night.
- Get Covered: Before your hire a contractor, ask to see his or her certificate of liability so you can rest assured they have sufficient insurance coverage for the upcoming project.
- Stop Smoking: To ensure combustible building materials and highly flammable substances like paint and solvents do not catch fire, prohibit smoking on your property.
- Fire Extinguishers: Each floor should have fire extinguishers while construction is going on.
- Perimeter Lighting: If there are materials outside the home, or you vacate the home during construction, you should have perimeter lighting to ensure that no one is insured that may be walking around.
If you are thinking about undertaking a home renovation, first contact the insurance experts at Allan Block Insurance Agency. Located in Tarrytown, Westchester County, New York, we have the past experience and insider insight necessary to ensure you get the right protection for your project.