insurance for rented boats or owned watercraft
  • By Allan M Block Blogging Team
  • Posted January 24, 2019

Insurance for Owned or Rented Watercraft

Will  your home insurance policy cover damage to personal watercraft? How about a liability claim for an injury or property damage resulting from its use?

Losses to some types of watercraft, such as a canoe or kayak, are normally covered by homeowners insurance. Other types of personal watercraft may be covered only on a limited basis (for example, a $1,500 maximum) or excluded altogether.

If you are at fault for harm to another person or their property, you may face a liability claim. Liability claims resulting from the use of some types of watercraft that are not powered by an engine or wind (such as a canoe or kayak) are often covered. Coverage for liability caused by other types of personal watercraft is normally based on two factors: ownership status and power source.

For example, claims resulting from the use of a watercraft you own with an inboard motor, such as a jet ski, are likely not covered. If the claim results from the use of a rented watercraft with an inboard motor, coverage may be provided based on specified horsepower (for example, covered only if 50 horsepower or less). However, if a personal watercraft with an inboard motor is borrowed, some home insurance policies afford coverage regardless of power source.

The good news is there are specific adjustments you can make to a homeowners policy to cover the use of watercraft. Contact our professionals to discover your options.

For more information or answers to your insurance questions, contact us at Allan Block Insurance Agency,, located in Tarrytown, NY in the heart of Westchester County, a key business district near New York City.  We write auto, home, renters, condo, co-op, personal, business, life and group insurance for clients locally and in NYC, CT, NJ, PA, MA and many other states. The Professional Agency with the Personal Touch.