Having a secondary home is a great place to take a vacation. Since a second home is empty a majority of the time, it is important to make sure it is protected. Keep these tips in mind to ensure your second home is in perfect condition the next time you visit.
- Ask a neighbor to check on your home periodically for any problems.
- Install programmable interior and exterior lights with varying times to make it seem like the home is always occupied.
- Install a security system that has a notification service so you can know if there is a break in while you are away.
- Turn off the water while you are away to reduce the chances of a water line burst.
- Store any valuables that are kept at the secondary home in a safety deposit box.
- Have an occasional house sitter or cleaning service come by to check for interior leaks or any other interior problems.
When protecting your secondary home, it is important to make sure you have the right homeowner’s insurance policy to protect your investment. Contact Allan Block Insurance for all of your homeowner’s insurance needs in Tarrytown and Westchester County.